Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

...at mothering

A few days ago, Short Stuff (my 3 year old) had a temp of 101.6, so I had to stay home from work.  It was actually GREAT because it gave me a chance to switch clothes over from summer to winter, to do some housework that I didn't get done this weekend, and to re-organize Short Stuff's play room. Needless to say, this morning, when she was better, (still had a low grade fever and sore throat) had to go to daycare, she didn't want to. She kept telling me she was sick so I would stay home with her again.  

Well I was having a heck of a time trying to get her to put her shoes and coat on. The weather just changed here in Iowa, and went from a nice 70-80 degrees to a chilly 50-60 degrees. Anyone who has a 3 year old knows what its like to try to get them to do something they don't want to.  We were running late too, so I just picked her up, (minus coat and shoes on) and put her in the car. To this she screamed, and wouldn't sit still so I could buckle her in. So, I got in the front seat started up the car, and told her she better get in her seat. Of course she didn't and was screaming and crying, so I started to drive up the driveway. She was still saying no by the time we got to the gravel road, so I stopped and laid this mother of a guilt trip on her. "If you don't sit down, the police will come and take mommy to jail because its dangerous for you to be out of your seat." To this she replied, "I don't want you to go to jail" and got in her seat and I buckled her up. I felt so horrible the instant this came out of my mouth. Not only have I sworn, I would never use guilt on my children because I hate it when people try to use it on me, but now I am teaching her that police are bad and will take her mom away from her! Sure she did what I wanted her to, but I just feel so bad that I sunk to this level. It was my best shot at the time, but looking back on it, I could have done much better. This Momma is not perfect.

On a lighter note, I saw this quote one time and made me laugh so hard. 
"The person who came up with Terrible Two's must have felt really foolish when their child turned three."
SO TRUE.

Have you ever guilt-ed your child into doing something? 

No comments:

Post a Comment