Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

At Valentine's Day

With Valentine's Day here I thought I'd share my families new traditions but first, a little history.
I was surprised to find out that its the second most celebrated holiday in the world, behind New Years Day. Also, that it began with celebrating Christian Saints who died a little before 200 AD and the day had nothing to do with love until the 14th century when some dude wrote a poem. Here it is:
"for this was on St. Valentine's day
When every bird cometh there to choose his mate"
Actually 3 other dudes also wrote poems around this time about birds mating on Valentine's day but this one is from the most well known author, Chaucer, the same guy that wrote The Cantibury Tales.  Yep, that's what inspired our modern day V-day. Because mid February is when birds choose there mate in England :)

A little about my history with Valentine's Day; When I was a kid we'd celebrate Valentine's Day at school by giving everybody a Lisa Frank or CareBear cards with those chalky candy hearts, and doing your typical Elementary School Valentines Day party. At home we didn't do anything too special, maybe mom would give us a little chocolate heart and we would make cards for our parents.
When I got older I hated Valentines Day because I was always single. I really just saw it as a holiday promoted by the flower, chocolate and card industry that made people express their "love" for each other with ridiculousness expensive roses, $4.00 cards (I can buy a whole chicken for that price!) and a huge box of chocolates that will taste just as good (actually better!) when they go on sale after Valentines day is over!  The first time I wasn't single on Valentines Day I told my boyfriend that I never had a good valentines day. He surprised me by giving me a heart necklace from Zales!! He gave it to me early, right after he got it. It took me a while to realize it wasn't the exact date that mattered, only the thought and the reason behind it. Needless to say I married him! The next year he asked me what I wanted to do, and I said why don't we wait until the 17th to celebrate.  Things go on sale and it's not as busy in restaurants. He liked that idea so that's what we've done since then. Plus my husband is notorious for giving gifts right after he gets them. I used to hate it, ("Just wait to give it to me, Christmas/my birthday/mothers day/etc. is only 4 days away!") but now I see that he is just excited for me to get it and he's really bad at keeping things from me. Those are good things!
 

Last year with short stuff, (when she was 2) I think let her have some candy (probably left over from Christmas :) and gave her a book or something like that. This year though, she kept asking when it was, and on Valentine's, asked if she could have her card. (Her Grandma and great-grandma sent her one in the mail, so I think that's where she got her idea from.) I hadn't gotten her a card, or anything really, because I was waiting to capitalize on the sales. So, before I came home that night, I got her a card, a 24 piece puzzle, a little tiny heart box of chocolates, and some valentines cards to color. Since she is older now, I don't think I will be able to get away from celebrating late like I do with Hubby. I'll just have to get things on sale now and keep them for next year (non-chocolates of course) I might just start a tradition with the whole family that they will get a little something the day of (that I purchased the last year for 70% off :), and I will bake cookies or brownies and make them into heart shapes. Then, after the chocolate goes on sale, I'll get a big one for the whole family!

I'll be the first one to say that I'm cheap! If I wouldn't of found a 99¢ card, I would have made one for Shorts, because there is no way I'll pay $3.49 for a card. However, because I'm a working mom, there is a trade off for time/cost. That's why I bought her cards to color. If I was really cheap, I would have cut ones out for her to make herself. We might do that when she gets older, but that's a little too much work for me right now. 

Well, that's Momma's Best Shot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment